Wednesday, March 21, 2012

The Little Girl has Gained Weight: Eating and Exercising

fat little girl and a lollipop

Studies have shown that watching TV tends to make you fat. Your mouth would always itch for food whenever you’re in front of TV even if you’re not really hungry. Just think of popcorn and movies. A bowlful of popcorn is a must-have in every movie night. And for someone who isn’t really fond of food, I’d also find myself bingeing while watching.

It’s always been a family habit to eat meals in front of TV. Perhaps because our apartment is cramped that everything is accessible wherever we stand or sit. My dad has been eating ice cream for dessert every night. In each visit to the grocery, he would buy three boxes. I’m not really addicted to sweets and I would always give up after a few bites. But ice cream has always been my weakness. It never fails to give me comfort whether or not I’m in front of TV. When a good movie is being aired on TV, my dad would ask for more food to satisfy his itching mouth.

After probably a month of eating ice cream, I gained a bit of weight. Being a little girl that I am, I should be happy with the additional weight. But I got mixed emotions. My tummy seems to be the only body part that has gained weight. The rest of my body is still pretty much the same. With my small frame, I look like a lollipop, the candy being in the center of the stick. My dad, on the other hand, has the widest waistline he’s ever had. From 28 inches to a whopping 32 inches. He looks like a pregnant man and we would pretend to be excited to have our nonexistent baby brother.

On a serious note, I am really worried about my dad’s health. As a busy man, eating sweets at night is his way of relaxing and recharging. I don’t feel unhealthy (probably because I’m still young), but I can’t just ignore my gradually increasing belly. I took out our old dusty treadmill hidden under the many boxes we have at home. With my sister’s help, we rearranged our apartment a bit and put the treadmill somewhere accessible. I made a goal to walk on it at least thrice a week for 15 minutes. Yes, walk, not run, because the treadmill is inclined. It is good for the hips, the thighs and the buttocks. It is a lot more beneficial if I don’t hold onto the handrail. But it’s quite impossible to do that without shaking the treadmill, so I just use one hand for grabbing the handrail while my other arm sways freely.

In addition to walking uphill on the treadmill, I also do squats and Bicycle Exercise every day to have shapelier buttocks, stronger thighs, and a firmer ab. I think a flat ab, not necessarily a six-pack ab, makes a person look fit and attractive. Of course I try to stay away from ice cream or other sweets as much as possible.

I’m not really an expert on exercising. I’m not sure if what I’ve been doing is enough to be in good shape. But I think taking baby steps is more feasible than jumping to all those complicated exercises.

So far, my dedication to a few minutes of exercise has proven its worth.  I haven’t got my ideal shape yet, but my belly has stopped growing. I feel better and less lazy. I’m looking forward to having a fit body. I just hope that the rest of my family will follow suit.

4 comments:

  1. Great post cheerfulnuts. It's a good thing to pay attention to your health. I will surely follow suit.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks seriousnuts! Yeah, you SHOULD follow suit! I will be watching you.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi cheerfulnuts,
    I hope your exercise programme is going well. Exercise is very important for good health. I need to exercise more. I have done some Yoga exercises but I need some more rigorous exercises!:) I do not eat sweets regularly but when they are around I find it hard to resist them. I could lose some weight. Take care and have a good week.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Judy.:)
    I notice that a lot of people who practice Yoga look much younger than their age. I had tried Yoga, but I didn't know if I was doing it right. I need lots of mirrors to see myself. LOL. But I think I would try Yoga again sometime.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Chitika Ads