Saturday, March 31, 2012

It’s Not Right: Taking Too Much Food from Someone’s Lunchbox


Siomai
these siomai look very appetizing
Source: debbietingzon on Flickr.com
In my first job where I tutor children, I would rarely go out for lunch. The kids kept on flocking in and I got too busy to leave my table. I would bring a few pieces of huge siomai from home. They won’t make me full, but they were easier to eat and I could eat them in my seat.

In the Philippines, we have this custom of saying “kain tayo” (let’s eat) before eating in the presence of other people. It is a polite way of “inviting” other people to eat with you. Most people would just nod or give you back a smile without accepting you “offer”. So when I opened my tiny lunchbox, I told my colleagues “kain tayo”. Knowing that my lunch was not really enough for me, my male colleague declined. However, the female colleague took a piece of my siomai. I think she’d never tasted siomai before because as soon she finished her siomai, she asked me for another one. My male colleague sarcastically told this teacher not to take my food anymore because it wasn’t really enough for me. She replied with a “but I can’t really help it because it was so delicious” and took another piece. I was too shy (and too shock) to pull back my lunchbox from this middle-aged teacher.

I went home having a painfully growling stomach. It was one of the worst feelings I’ve experienced. But being shown no care by my own colleague felt much worse.

When someone offers me food, I would check first if he has more than enough for himself before taking one (or I would simply nod and give him my sweetest smile).

6 comments:

  1. Hi cheerfulnuts,
    You have the right attitude. I totally agree with you. I hope you are fine and have a wonderful weekend.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Judy.:) Every time my parents remember this, they would tell me how glad they are that I no longer work there. Have a great weekend too!:D

    ReplyDelete
  3. We Filipinos have our way of saying "kain tyo" (let's eat) even if we don't mean like sharing our food. It was obvious that your portion of food was just enough for yourself, yet your colleague took too many from it. That was indeed very thoughtless. No wonder you are very thin, cheefulnuts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Exactly seroiusnuts.
    I'm glad I'm fatter now LOL.:P

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hello again cheerfulnuts,
    I hope you are fine. I have tagged you in my latest post. If you wish and when you have the time you could have a go at it. Take care and enjoy your day and weekend.
    Judy

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Judy. I've been busy for the past few weeks. It's been a while since I've written something here. I missed blogging.=(
    I've read your post last night. Thanks so much for tagging me!:)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Chitika Ads