Wednesday, July 20, 2011

The Little Girl's Encounter with a Creep


My family decided to watch the final instalment of Harry Potter after almost a decade of not watching in a movie house as a family. We met with my sister’s friend to watch the movie together. It was still early, so we strolled around the mall. We decided to go to Timezone to kill time. My sister and her friend were playing something similar to Guitar Hero as I looked on. I was standing behind them. My mom watched them momentarily but went to a bench after she got bored. My dad would come to watch them briefly while his arm was wrapped around my shoulders. He left, too, to look for a place to smoke. I didn’t leave and I watched the screen while silently laughing at the mistakes they’ve made. Then, I felt someone behind me.
Someone was leaning on my back. I turned around, expecting to see my dad. I was alarmed to see an unfamiliar guy around my age leaning his crotch on my back! I couldn’t believe it. He didn’t have any bag with him, so I was sure it was his body that had made contact with me. He was holding a jacket on his left hand. I looked at him and he backed off a few steps. I sat next to my sister and whispered about the suspicious guy. I couldn’t find the right words to say. I couldn’t muster to utter out the word “pervert,” fearing that the guy would overhear me. It could be an accident anyway. My sister didn’t understand my jumbled words. She glanced around to check what was troubling me but saw no one. She told me later on that not a single soul was behind us. She asked me to stay next to her. I was still bothered. I looked around and the guy was back! He approached me and once again, stood behind me. I was shocked. As I was trying to leave my seat, he started to head towards the door. I strode furiously towards him and I could see fear on his face, but he stood still, watching me. I saw my mom sitting nearby and went to her right away. I told her about the incident. This time, I was sure it was not an accident. He was indeed trying to harass me. She turned white and asked where the guy was. I spotted him (his gaze didn’t leave me) and pointed my finger at him while telling my mom “that was him!” My voice was shaking. We didn’t need to go to the guy to confront him because instead of running straight to the exit, he approached me again! My mom was very angry. She asked him what he wanted.  She was gripping her bag, ready to hit him. He didn’t answer. I didn’t see his reaction, but he eventually headed toward the exit. He had disappeared and that is probably the last time I’d ever see him. But his face still lingered in my memory.
For the rest of the day (and for the next few days), that incident kept playing in my mind. The guy’s reaction confirmed my suspicion about him. But I was confused. Why didn’t he leave right away? Why did he follow me even if he saw me telling my mom about his harassment? Maybe he’s crazy. I was a bit traumatized. I didn’t wear revealing clothes. I have always worn conservative clothes and I don’t like showing too much skin. I don’t even like to wear skirts because they make me feel vulnerable. I didn’t expect something like that to happen to me, especially when I’m with my parents! Even if there was no skin contact, his behaviour was disgusting. I started reading about the subject on the internet and I’ve realized that many people, both males and females, had been victims of groping or frotteurism. A lot of them didn’t know what to do or were too shocked to do anything at all. I was a bit lucky to be able to do something. I also feel fortunate to have only experienced that kind of harassment. There are other much worse incidents. Nevertheless, I wish this would stop. I want to live in a place where woman can walk alone safely. I want my future daughters (or sons) to be safe even when I’m not looking.
To the ladies, have you ever been harassed? To the guys, what do you think women can do to prevent this from happening?

9 comments:

  1. That man is creepy. I'm glad you're okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah... I'm glad I'm okay too. The little girl is safe.:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am really sorry to read about this bad experience cheerfulnuts. I am glad that you were able to keep him off. One has to be so careful these days. Perverts like this man are all over the world so we have to watch out for them. It is always good not to be alone. Take care and my best wishes to you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Judy.:) Perverts are everywhere. I was off guard because I was with a lot of people, including my parents. And the place wasn't crowded. I didn't expect that to happen. Still, I feel lucky for being ok. Some perverts could have done worse. That guy who groped me looked scared and confused.

    ReplyDelete
  5. It is sad that there are some guys out there that are sick, and impact other innocent people with their perversion. You certainly didn't do anything to encourage his actions. That you wrote about it took courage. It has likely helped someone else who has gone through the same terrible experience. Bless you for your integrity.

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  7. John, thank you for your kind words. I really appreciate it.:) At first, I was angry at him. But when I recall how afraid and confused he was, I can't help but pity him. He must be really "sick." I hope these people can find ways to get rid of their sick behavior.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is impossible to even fathom what goes on through the brain of such "sick" people. I am sure you couldn't have done anything that encouraged his behavior. You did the right thing by drawing attention to him, usually they withdraw in the face of attention. Be safe and have a good week! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Hi Gautam. I appreciate your comment. Thank you! This experience has made me wiser and I've become more aware of my environment. I'm really glad that what happened to me is not something that would scar me for life. Thank you for your concern.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Chitika Ads