Monday, October 10, 2011

An Uneventful Double Ten Day



Today is Double Ten Day! It is the national day of the Republic of China that is primarily celebrated in Taiwan. What’s more special is this year marks the 100th year celebration of the national day. As I am typing this entry, my mom is watching the news from Taiwan. Some of our Chinese family friends went to Taiwan to witness this unusual event.
Since this is a very special and rare event, some couples had chosen to get married today. More than 300 pairs are wedded in Taiwan. Another unusual event today is the birth of a girl to Taiwanese parents who were married on September 9, 1999 (9/09/99). How remarkable is that?

Like most Chinese families living overseas, my family did not do anything special today. We went to work as usual. We ate meatballs for dinner and some leftover steamed crab from yesterday. I was the one who ate most of the crab, and I feel a bit guilty about it. My dad hadn’t even tasted it. The meatballs were delicious. Oh, there were also some veggies, too. I ate it as I was watching 50 First Dates on HBO. I can’t believe I’m eating again. Last week, I missed work for a couple of days after being mildly food-poisoned. I suspected that the grilled salmon that I ate was the culprit. My sister failed to cook it thoroughly, and I felt like I was eating sashimi instead of grilled salmon. I don’t want to blame my poor sister, but she got sick the next day, too. And then my mom. I doubt if I could ever eat sashimi or salmon again. If I stopped eating fish, my pet fish would love me.
Well, today is an uneventful day for the little girl. But I'm still happy.:)

2 comments:

  1. It was interesting reading about this celebration cheerfulnuts. Next week Monday we will have a public holiday, National Heroes Day. I am sorry to hear that salmon made you and seriousnuts sick recently. Janine and I used to enjoy salmon, sardines and tuna and suddenly they started making us ill. We stopped eating them since then. Take care and all the best to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Judy. Thanks!
    That's too bad. Salmon is one of the healthiest foods out there. It's a great source of good fats.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Chitika Ads