Sunday, October 23, 2011

It is the Normal Thing to Do


Yesterday, the Chinese girl who was involved in a hit-and-run case a week earlier had just died. It was a sad news. Her injuries were so severe that whatever the doctors did could not save her. One of the drivers had been caught; and the other one had voluntary surrendered to the police. One of them showed remorse for his crime. Meanwhile, none of the passers-by would admit about their cold-heartedness. One even reportedly said that he did not see the girl because it was too dark. Another one said that if he had seen the girl, he would have saved her.

My heart goes out to the girl’s family. She is now resting in a place where there is no pain. She no longer has to live in a world filled with heartless passers-by.
This incident had me thinking. Am I one of those passers-by? If I live in China, or someplace where Good Samaritans get into trouble, what would I do? Would I turn a blind eye? Or would I do what is right? Although I’m not perfect, I consider myself a person with deep values and principles. But being a nice person is easy in my environment. I realized that society do play a major role in one’s behaviour, attitude, and values. It’s not easy to go against the norm. If everyone ignores a dying girl on the street, it would take a lot of courage to do the opposite. It reminds me of Hitler and the Nazis. They’ve killed millions of Jews. We all know that it’s wrong, but during their time, it was the “normal” thing to do. Maybe to those passers-by, leaving the girl alone was the normal thing to do at that time. I wish their "normal" would change soon.

4 comments:

  1. I am sorry to hear that the little girl died. I feared that would happen after reading what happened to her. My thoughts and prayers are with her family. We all need to care about each other. Love the message in your post cheerfulnuts. Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you Judy.:) Let's pray for this Chinese girl. I hope she is enough to change China for the better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. pretty sad post. im sorry she died.. i guess it was expected because there was no mercy in his actions at all! It's such a horrible tragedy... and sad that such apathy can exist. Prayers out to the family of the little girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi ilovecheapcalls. I was really disturbed when I saw the girl being ran over twice. I've never seen something like that. It was unbelievable.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Chitika Ads