Monday, March 18, 2013

I'm My Sister's Guinea Pig


Small Guinea Pig
That's me!
Source: Wikimedia Commons
My sister is currently watching City Hunter after I recommended the K drama to her. She would always comment about Lee Min Ho's beautiful glowing skin. He is the male lead of City Hunter by the way. My sister is very particular about her skin so she admires people with great-looking skin.

Both of us had moderate acne during our teens. My acne was worse than hers, and because of that, I had issues with my self-esteem.

After years of suffering from acne, we finally went to a dermatologist. My sister went first. Every visit, the dermatologist would prick her pimples with his special tools. She went to him twice a week. She would also buy all the skin care products from him, which were packaged in unlabeled containers.



After several visits and weeks of diligently applying products on her face, my twin's skin greatly improved. Seeing the good results, I went to see the same dermatologist. He prescribed the same skin care products. My sister stopped going to the doctor and I stopped too after having my pimples pricked once. We thought using the products would be enough. My skin didn't improve much, and my sister would sometimes have breakouts.

The skin care products were expensive. Once, we dropped the ointment on the floor. The base of the container fell off. We discovered that the base that fell off was actually a covering of another base. The inner base was concave, which means that the content was actually less that it appeared. The doctor deceived us and led us to believe that we were paying for more.

After our discovery, we stopped buying skin care products from our dermatologist. Though I know that I would get flawless skin if I visit him regularly, I did not go back to his clinic anymore. My sister decided to make her own experiment. She researched and tried many different products on us. It was a long process. Sometimes, the products would give different results on our skin. That was odd, because we're twins. I was expecting that our skin would react similarly to products. Anyway, it was hard to figure out which products were causing breakouts.

My sister didn't give up. She reads about skin care almost every day. She would even read scientific papers she found online. When we talk, she would always give me updates about her latest research. She would also document her research on her beauty blog.

My skin is still far from perfect. But it is improving. I have always complained about being darker-skinned than my sister. To the Chinese, fair-skinned ladies are perceived as more attractive than dark-skinned ones. Of course this is not true. A lot of dark-skinned women are beautiful. That said, I don't want to be dark-skinned. It just doesn't suit my face. So I was happy when my skin started to become fairer. I'm really impressed with my sister.

My parents aren't that impressed though. They prefer the easy way, which is going to the dermatologist. They would jokingly tell me that I'm just a guinea pig in my sister's experiments LOL. I would defend my sister and tell them my sister loves me and would never do anything to harm me.

I know that dermatologists are far more knowledgable than my sister. It took them years of studying before they attained their title. Granted, my sister cares for me more than any dermatologist would. My experience with my dermatoglist isn't very pleasant. So I will stick to being a guinea pig and see what happens. I wonder if I will eventually have a skin half as good as Lee Min Ho's? It's a shame that I have to compare my skin with a guy's skin.:P

Lee Min Ho
Lee Min Ho
Source: Wikimedia Commons


No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Chitika Ads