Thursday, March 21, 2013

What to Do About PayPal Fraud


The scam truckAnyone can experience a Paypal fraud or PayPal scam. Some days ago, I just received a fake PayPal email. 

I have the habit of looking through my mail account's Spam folder before hitting the trash can button. I would browse through the mails to check if an important message has been trapped in the spam filter. 

I came across an email from PayPal. It says that I have successfully sent a payment of $149.49 USD to a certain Dave Klein. The problem is, I haven't made such purchase at all. Like in the official emails of PayPal, this one has the company logo and a link to "PayPal's website" for me to see the transaction. 


Instead of clicking the link, I googled Dave Klein. There are many Dave Klein's but there is no such seller on Amazon with that name. I also noticed that aside from myself, there are several recipients of this suspicious email.

I immediately researched about what I have to do when I received a PayPal fraud or scam letter. PayPal has an email address specifically for this purpose. Just forward the seemingly fake email to spoof@paypal.com and immediately delete it from your inbox. Read more about reporting PayPal fraud/scam here.

Today, I received a letter from the real PayPal. It says that the suspicious email that I received days ago is indeed a fraud. I'm glad that I didn't click the link or did anything that would reveal my password to the thieves.

If you received a letter from PayPal about any transaction that you're sure you haven't made, send a report to PayPal immediately. Panicking and clicking the link in the email could compromise your account. Protect yourself or others from these thieves. Report them.

2 comments:

  1. Will be sure to be extra careful when I see something like this on my mail. I think one of the nightmares that freelancers face is when we fall victim to scams like these.Thanks for the tips!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Chitika Ads