Saturday, July 30, 2011

The Little Girl Tweets

Illustration by cheerfulnuts

When my friends had started creating their Facebook account, I created my own too. I enjoy the features that are only unique to Facebook. I like the idea of seeing what everyone’s up to without having to go to their profile. I love the games. However, there’s one feature on Facebook that I had refrained from using – the status. Every time I signed in, the first thing that would pop to my screen is the question “What’s on your mind?” I've always avoided that textbox. I’m not that comfortable sharing what’s on my mind with hundreds of friends. I have no idea what I can put in that white box that is okay with me to share with everyone.

When my friends created their Twitter accounts, I didn’t join in the crowd. To me, Twitter is like that one feature on Facebook that I’ve been avoiding. What can I tell the world? Who cares what I’ll tweet? I’m not a celebrity. After Facebook had launched its Twitter app, I got curious and decided to take a look. I created an account, and I had no idea what those @ and # mean. I gave up on figuring them out and had never touched my Twitter account for years.
I started writing online a few months ago. I have encountered some articles saying how important Twitter is in promoting your websites. I remembered about my dormant account and decided to give it a shot. After a few weeks of being a bit active, I’ve gained more than a hundred of followers. I had made a few dozens of tweets. I tried to be fun and interesting.
After a few more weeks….
You may ask me what happened to my new marketing strategy. Is it effective? Did I gain more traffic to my site? My answer is this -> :( I’ve only got an embarrassingly few hits from Twitter. I did get some followers after I’ve added the #autofollow hashtag (I’ve read about it somewhere). I’ve realized that most of my followers are bots, which I’d prefer to call robots. These robots tweet nonstop and flood my timeline everyday. They make the confused little girl even more confused about the site. Perhaps Twitter is not for me.
Do you have a Twitter account?
If you have one, maybe you can cheer the little girl up by following @cheerfulnuts? The little girl still remembers her #autofollow hashtag and will surely live up to her words. :)

4 comments:

  1. Hi cheerfulnuts,
    I am on Facebook and have linked up with relatives, friends and many former schoolmates. I always write something for my status but of course I am very careful what I write. I share a lot of positive quotations and some stuff about my country and myself. I just joined Twitter and I still have so much to learn about it. I am going to check Twitter and follow you there. I hope I get it right. I share a lot of my Blog posts on Twitter but I do not know yet how it gets seen by others who are not my friends. So far I have had a few followers on Twitter. I did not know that there was a #autofollow hash tag. I must check that out. Take care.
    Judy from Jamaica

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I forgot to add that I also met a lot of new persons on Facebook!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You will find this infographic on twitter very interesting:
    http://www.client-bridge.com/blog/bid/55186/INFOGRAPHIC-Twitter-Users

    As you can see, almost 50% of the users hardly check their accounts and majority of traffic is generated by only 0.05% of users. So don't feel sad that you are missing out on something!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Judy,
    Thanks! That's great! I do post status updates on Facebook sometimes, but I always try to make it funny and not too personal LOL. Just like you, I'm still learning how to use Twitter.

    Gautam,
    Thanks for the link! This is interesting. Now I know that 99.95 of users are in the same situation as the little girl. It makes me feel better.:D

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Chitika Ads