Thursday, March 31, 2011

My Dream Home


After I’ve watched “The Chronicles of Narnia: The Lion, The Witch, and The Wardrobe,” I recalled my childhood days. That was two decades ago. We lived in a small condominium unit. There were built-in closets that occupy one side of our bedroom wall.
I was a kid then and I was discontented with the size of our home. Many times, I wished that it would look like a mansion, with Victorian-style sofas, and a king-sized four-poster bed with curtains draping over it. My mom was quite busy doing her housewife thing. She didn't have time to beautify our home. Our furnishings were arranged in such a way that our home didn't look close to my dream home.
Most of our furnishings were all squeezed into a bedroom that we all shared. We ate our meals there, we studied there, we played there, and we slept there. We spent most of our lives in that place inside the bedroom. Sometimes, I would ask my mom why we all had to stay in a single bedroom. She would tell me, "So that we can save energy and money." True, it was a waste of money to have our own air-conditioned room. But still, that didn't stop me from dreaming. I would go to our big closet, remove some of the things in there, and squeeze myself inside. I would touch the inside walls of the closet, searching for a hidden door. I imagined that the hidden door will lead to a mansion's living room, with vintage Victorian-style sofas and chandelier. I pictured it with great detail.
Twenty years later, we no longer live in that place. You might ask me, "Do you live in a mansion now?" or "Do you have those Victorian-style furniture or chandelier in your home?" My answer is no to both questions. In fact, we live in a smaller condominium unit. And we still share the same bedroom. To save. But I will get that mansion soon. If I continue to dream, I will start believing that it will come true, and if I believe it, it will really happen. Psychologists call it self-fulfilling prophecy. I call it “the power of believing.” Of course, I have to add prayers, too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Chitika Ads