Sunday, September 4, 2011

What the Little Girl Likes Most About Korea



cheerfulnuts wearing Sungkyunkwan scholars' outfit
I went to South Korea a couple of years ago. I wouldn’t forget the time when we went to Ginseng Museum. After the tour guide explained to us a few things about ginseng, she asked us, “What do you like most about Korea?” No one in my group answered, so I was very tempted to blurt out, “Korean boys!” That would surely make everyone in the room laugh. But I didn’t say anything and the tour guide continued her speech. I didn’t want to embarrass myself. And that wasn’t true anyway.

Why did I say Korean boys? Well, in the early 2000, many Korean dramas had started to be aired on my cable. I was so used to watching Taiwanese dramas when I was younger, so seeing Korean dramas for the first time was refreshing. Soon, I became very addicted to them and had fallen in like with many male Korean celebrities. I’ve memorized their names even if they’re a bit hard to remember. I’d even kept hundreds of photos of them (both males and females). That was in high school. Soon after, I barely watch Korean dramas anymore. I no longer know the names of the new batch of rising Korean stars. Those that I know are already in their late 20’s and early 30’s now.
Recently, someone gave me a copy of Sungkyunkwan Scandal, a Korean drama released in late 2010. It’s a historical fiction and the story is set during the Joseon dynasty when Emperor Jeongjo was the ruler. During those times, females didn’t have equal rights with men. They weren’t allowed to go to school or to go to work. Kim Yoon Hee, the protagonist, loved studying despite her mother’s disapproval. When her father died, she started to work by disguising herself as a man. She borrowed her sick brother’s name tag and his clothes. She lived a difficult life and had to hide her beautiful face beneath a man’s clothes. Her life changed after meeting Lee Sun Joon, the righteous son of a nobleman. Sun Joon admired her talents so he helped her get into the most prestigious school in Joseon – Sungkyunkwan – even if it was against her will. There, she’d made friends with Moon Jae Shin and Gu Yong Ha. While she was keeping her real identity a secret, she was trying her best to control her growing love for Lee Sun Joon. Pretty typical story, huh? But that was only in the beginning. Honestly, I didn’t even expect much from it at first. But the more I watched, the more I became addicted to the show. The plot is brilliant! I like the cast and their acting, the costumes, the shooting locations, the dialogues and the soundtrack! I love Moon Jae Shin, too *the little girl swoons*!
It’s been weeks since I’ve finished watching the series. Although it’s not the best Korean drama of 2010, it’s still definitely worth watching. I’ve learned a bit about Korea’s history, thanks to Sungkyunkwan Scandal. The next time the little girl goes to Korea and the next time someone asks her what she loves most about the country, she’ll look at him/her in the eye and tell him/her without blinking, “Moon Jae Shin!” Just kidding. I will still keep quiet and wait for other people to answer. I don’t want to embarrass myself.:p

2 comments:

  1. Interesting post Cheerfulnuts! Always good to read your posts. I love Korea although I have not been there. I have just seen Jamaican athletes do very well at the World Athletics Championships there! The Koreans were so friendly and cheered the Jamaicans especially Usain Bolt. By the way, I gave you an award this morning! Do have a look at my Blog and you will see it. Take care and have a great week!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, thanks Judy! I've just checked your blog and I'm really happy!:) It's time to search for bloggers to award!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Chitika Ads